Weather related disasters are currently plaguing the world from Africa to the Americas and Asia. In Benue state, over 100,000 victims have been displaced by floods and while relief efforts have been launched, new ones are popping up daily. The latest we have discovered is through transportation company, Uber in collaboration with Community Links NG.
Essentially, what’s happening is Uber drivers can be requested and given donations in kind which will be delivered.
To donate, you need to follow the steps below. Please note that cash donations are not possible through Uber, instead there are other initiatives here which are your go-tos if you’re interested in giving cash.
HOW TO DONATE
- Open the App between Thursday 7th September and Friday 8th September, between 9am – 2pm
- Riders on the island can request on Thursday 7th September and riders on the mainland can request on Friday 8th September
- Select the orange card along the bottom of your app saying “Makurdi Flood Aid”
- Tap the card and request a vehicle through the “Makurdi Flood Aid” view
- There is no destination needed, the car will come to you
- When the driver arrives – please meet him at your pick up point with your donations boxed and labelled
- There will be no charge for UberCOMMUNITY
- The vehicle view is open between 09:00am – 02:00pm
- Donations cannot be in cash, only items listed above will be accepted
- All donations must be bagged or boxed in order for drivers to accept your donation.
- Please may we request you mark clearly what you are donating!
- Please keep in mind that driver-partners can’t leave vehicles unattended, so we ask that you bring your items out to meet your driver when they arrive.
- Successful redemption of this offer is subject to the availability of Uber driver-partners.
- Access to and use of the Uber App will be subject to the standard terms and conditions applicable to all riders who use the platform.
- Riders will not be able to take any rides in any of the UberCOMMUNITY vehicles