Uche Secondus, the People’s Democratic Party National Chairman has charged the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed to Court for defamation and is demanding N1.5 billion in damages.
This is on the heels of the looters list released by the minister which contains names of prominent Nigerian, including the PDP chairman of which party men featured considerably.
The PDP had earlier given the minister a deadline to apologise over the list, and had threatened court action.
Therefore, according to a statement from the national chairman’s media office signed by his spokesperson, Ike Abonyi, Mr Secondus in the suit no/PHC/1013/2018 claimed that Mr Mohammad’s publication is ”defammatory” and is asking the court to direct him to retract the said publication and apologise in writing.
“Having failed to meet the demand, Secondus on Friday April 6, 2018, made good his threat and filed a suit at the Port Harcourt, High Court, Rivers state claiming among other things that the court awards to him the sum of N1.5 billion being damages for humiliation, castigation, vilification attack on his person and integrity as a result of the publication.
“Publish the retraction and apology in all the social media including but not limited to the following newspapers, the Nation, Thisday, The Sun, Guardian and Punch as well as in the following television channels, NTA and Channels Television among others where the defammatory story was published,” the statement said.