BOKO HARAM KILL 17 IN FRESH BORNO ATTACK

Posted on

It is believed at least 17 people have been killed by an attack on a village market in Borno state.  It is  believed the Boko Haram sect are behind this attack. Another 35 persons have been reportedly slaughtered in Gbajimba, Guma Local Government Area of Benue State by suspected Fulani mercenaries.

In repsosnse to this, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Major-General Kenneth Minimah has charged the military based in the North-east to take greater care in curbing the Boko Haram menace and securing the well being of locals.

According to Police Chief, Lawan Tanko the bomb went off in a busy marketplace late on Thursday in the remote village of Nguro-Soye.

News of the attack was slow to emerge after insurgents destroyed nearby telecom towers, shutting down communications in the area.

“An explosion in the market in Nguro-Soye killed 17 people,” Tanko told AFP, adding that police were investigating the source of the explosion. “The attack on Nguro-Soye, as in previous attacks, is the handiwork of Boko Haram insurgents.”

Residents, who fled the village to the state capital Maiduguri, put the death toll at nearly 30, and said more people were hurt.

“They (attackers) fired a RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) on the market and opened fire, killing 29 people,” said a local trader Hamisu Ibrahim. He went on saying, “Many people were injured in the attack and the stampede that followed.”
Nguro-Soye is close to the town of Bama where 60 people were killed last month in coordinated bomb and gun attacks by the terror group that are believed to have consumed half the town.

The blame for the deadly attacks steeming from the sect have intensified since the turn of the year encapsulating the degree of danger. In 2014, some 700 people have been killed in more than 40 incidents, according to NGO, Human Rights Watch (HRW).

%d bloggers like this: